Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sassy Salted Caramel Corn...yep, it's bad for you...

Welp...October is here. In full swing folks. Yuck. I know I talked about it in my post last week about the cold/cough/allergy/hit-by-a-truck feeling, but oh my goodness has October reared it's ugly head. And please, don't get me wrong, I LOVE fall in the mitten, but the cold and rainy days and nights and minutes are already starting to get to me. :-) I know, I've got a long winter ahead of me.

Anyyywaayyyyy, I wanted to share one of my favorite "fall in the mitten" items to make, salted caramel corn. It's just so freaking good to not share. I've debated about giving out my recipe, but many are similar so I guess it's ok. And as long as y'all will promise to love it and treat it with respect, I'm happy to share. 

My lovely and dear sister, Erin, has taught me how to pop popcorn right on the stove. Please do not insult this delicious recipe by using bagged micro popcorn, gross. Just grab some unpopped popcorn kernels from the store (I got mine from whole foods because my seester told me too) and get to work with a big pot. I didn't do step by step instructions for this because it's that easy. 

1. Grab your pot
2. Turn on your burner
3. Put a tablespoon or so of coconut oil, butter or whatever wets your appetite into the pot
4. Cover the bottom in a SINGLE layer of the kernels
5. Cover and turn the heat to high. If you follow my instructions, you won't have any unpopped kernels. It's amazing. 

It should look like this!! Yummy

Then you have popcorn all ready for the deliciousness that is about to follow...

So, this recipe is a combination of many triumphs, failures and experiments in the kitchen. I am obsessed with caramel corn, but I also love salt...and the stuff I would get around town here just wasn't cutting it. So, I compiled my own. I even compared my recipe to some on Pinterest. Mine seems pretty easy, cheap and fun like many of them on Pinterest. 

Ingredients Needed:
- 1/4C Light Corn Syrup (yes Erin, I know...)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (the real stuff people...the fake crap comes from raccoons bums...I know you don't believe me...look it up)
- 2 tsp Sea Salt 
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Popped popcorn (10-12 cups)
- 1/2C or 1 stick SALTED butter
- 2 baking sheets lined with foil
- Cooking Spray

So, step 1/2 is...make sure your family likes caramel corn. I would hate to have you go through all this work only for your family to not like it. :-) Although, that could be good...more for you...?

** STEP 1 **
Step 1: Melt your half stick of butter into a large pot and while you're waiting, preheat your oven for 300 degrees F and line two baking sheets with foil. I'll explain later...

** STEP 2 ** 
Step 2: Add the brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir with a WOODEN spoon.

** STEP 3 **
Step 3: Cook that mixture until it's bubbling a bit. Then decrease the heat so the mixture is simmering and let it simmer there for 4 minutes. Do NOT stir during these 4 min. And please, FOR THE LOVE, do not sit there and try and sniff this delicious smelling concoction...because that my friends, is caramel. It will bubble. It will pop. And we don't have eye washing stations in our kitchens do we? 

** STEP 4 **
Step 4: Yay! Now you can stir it! Continue to cook the golden brown sugary goodness for another 5 minutes or so, stirring often so it doesn't stick to your pan. You'll know when it's done because of the dark golden brown color and amazing smell :-)

** STEP 5 **
Step 5: Now folks, turn off your heat. If you are using an electric stove, please completely remove your pot from the flat glass top or coil burner, or the bottom of your caramel WILL burn. Add the salt and stir. Don't be afraid of how much salt it looks like, this caramel is covering A LOT of popcorn...and the name is salted caramel corn...duh. Along with the salt, add the vanilla and baking soda and combine together. 

** STEP 6 **
Step 6: Now is the time!!! Add in your beautifully popped popcorn! I just like to pour mine straight in like this...

** STEP 7 **
Step 7: I know you're thinking, "Anna, that's crazy...do a little at a time!" Well, here's the dealio and down low about that...from personal experience, this creates a very sticky and horrible situation...especially for the caramel. :-) It cools off too much and then won't coat the rest. Sad day. So just start folding the caramel over the popcorn. It WILL be sticky, it WILL be thick and hard to stir...but I promise you those sweet and salty little popcorn babies will be worth it. 

** STEP 8 **


Step 8: Many think this is unnecessary but I disagree...I think this step is what makes this popcorn so awesome. You will now spread this heap of sugary popcorn equally between your two lined cookie sheets. Please remember to spray the sheets with the baking spray or you won't be a happy camper.

** STEP 9 **
Step 9: Yeah, sorry that pic is so blurry. I was trying to keep a husband, mother in law, 2 kids and a very eager dog away from this stuff...anyway, last step is to cook in increments of 5 min. This is the step that creates the smooth yet crunchy caramel coating evenly over all popped corn kernels. Just gently stir between timers. I like to do a total of about 15 min, so 3 rounds of 5 min timers...not too shabby. 
And then...it should look like this pic above...

Victory! So so so so sooooo good! It will get stuck in your teeth, you will get sticky hands, have the dog chasing you when you have some in a bowl...but it's worth it! 

I feel that I should give the silly disclaimer of not being responsible for those of you who just don't listen to my instructions and then burn your mouth, fingers or face...so here goes...

** I will not assume responsibility for silliness that causes burns, broken teeth or burned hands **

Ok ok, I'm only half kidding with that statement above. I hope you enjoy!! This is a great gift to throw in with a meal for a friend, family member or family with a new baby. Fairly easy to make, horrible for you to eat but yet so so good. Enjoy!!

AJ










































No comments:

Post a Comment