Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Fickle Pickle


Hey kids!! I feel like I've started off every blog recently giving the  "Wow, it's been a long time...how did I wait so long again to write something..." so, I'll spare you that line again. Just busy. With life. Family. Businesses. Job. Life. Etc...I know most all of you can relate to that. Sorry for neglecting.

Guys...it's summer! Halfway through almost. Isn't it crazy?! Didn't our snow here in Michigan JUST melt? I digress. One of my favorite things about the late spring, summer through late fall is our local Fulton Street Farmers Market here in town. I LOVE visiting my favorite booths, talking to the local residents/farm owners/vendors that are supplying home grown food for all of us to purchase at the market. It soothes my soul to see how many people are finally buying more local and supporting our local farmers. It's pure Michigan baby. Nothing like it.

I have many favorite things to make during the summer months. Pickles. Strawberry jam and pies. Cherry pie. Cherry salsa. Basil Pesto. Canned peaches. Blueberry pie. And the list goes on. And on. :-)

Today, we talk pickles!! Truth be told, if you would ask my friends and family if I ever eat pickle on anything, the answer would be no. Because they're gross. And soggy. And gross. And blah. But, during the summer months, when I can get fresh mini cucumbers and make my own? Then, I am pickles biggest fan.

First rule of pickling? There ARE NO RULES!!! Now, I know that my "I-have-to-have-a-recipe-to-follow-or-I-screw-it-up" people are freaking out by this statement, but just stick with me a minute. It's always good when you're new to something to follow some sort of basic recipe, but what I'm saying is you can take creative control, free reign and add a little extra of this or a little dash of that (with NO measuring! *gasp*) and it won't ruin your entire batch. And that my friends, is freedom. To not have your creative palette controlled by a recipe. Step into the light recipe-followers...it's ok NOT to measure. :-)

What you will need :
- Mini Cucumbers (I use approx 5-7lbs per 12 quart batch)
- Quart Mason Jars (or pint depending on size of cucs)
- White Vinegar (just lots)
- Fresh Dill (1 big bunch)
- Fresh Garlic (6 whole heads)
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional. Use for spicy version. A few tsps)
- Pickling Salt (a few tsps)
- Whole Peppercorns (half a handful total)
- Cajun Seasoning (optional. Use for spicy version)
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife

***** NOTE TO READERS*****
I know some of you cheap skates, myself included, will think you can just use regular table salt for this recipe. No dice. You NEED to use the pickling/canning salt. Because the regular table salt has extra chemicals in it, it'll turn your garlic and pickles weird shades of pink and blue. It's weird and doesn't work as well. Even this Dutch girl went to the store and spent the whopping $1.47 on that huge box of pickling/canning salt. If I can, you can. 

Step 1: Visit your local farmers market, vegetable stand or your own garden (and Meijer for those of you who won't go to these fine places) and grab a pound or two of mini cucumbers. I like the ones that are weird shaped, bumpy on the outside and all kinds of shades of green. They make THE crunchiest pickles evahh. Grab your cutting board, favorite sharp kitchen knife and wash them and gentle chop off a tiny bit on each end.

Wash and hand dry your mini cucumbers. 

Gently chop off each end with sharp knife. 


Step 1.5: Yes, there is a Step 1.5. Because it should really be done before or simultaneously as Step 1. Anyway. You're going to need mason jars. Lots of them if you plan to do lots of pickles like I always do. I usually do 12 jars of pickles at a time. I use approx 5-7 lbs of mini cucumbers and use wide-mouthed quart jars for my spears and pickle chips. When you buy them new, you MUST...I repeat, you MUST wash and sanitize them. I won't even try to describe the foul smell that these mason jars possess when they are brand new, but it's nasty and gross. Just wash them. please. I soak mine in piping hot, soapy water for about 20 min then rinse them twice in hot water and air dry. 




Step 2: Fun part! Once your jars are dried, line them up on the counter. Before you start adding any ingredients to the jars for the pickling, you need to decide if you want the spicy version of my recipe or just the regular garlic dill one. I'll walk you through both. I like to do half and half for my family, although the spicy version seems to be the favorite pretty consistently. 

- Add 3 sprigs of your fresh dill to the bottom of each jar.
- Add 3 peeled (not chopped!) cloves of garlic to the bottom of each jar.
- Add 1/2 tsp of WHOLE peppercorns to the bottom of the jar

My favorite knife.

How gorgeous!! Multi colored whole peppercorns. 


Line those babies up!

See how cute and cozy? Just waiting for their vinegar bath!

Step 3: If you want spicy pickles, DO this step. If you want regular garlicky dill, please skip ahead to step 4. 

This is where the spice comes in. It's not terribly spicy, but the spicy pickles definitely have a bit of a kick to them. I think they're amazing. So do my kiddos. 

- Add 1 tsp (or more) of dried red pepper flakes to the bottom of the jars above. Feel free to add more if you want a spicier option. 
- Add 1-2 tsp of Cajun Seasoning 




Step 4: Decide if you want to have pickle chips, pickle spears or both. I like to have both. Chop them into spears and slice into thin pickle chips. Not too thin, because you want them to be crunchy but not too thick. ok? ok!

They won't always be even or the same thickness, no worries, they all taste the same!

Then add them slowly into the quart jars. I like to tilt the jar sideways when adding them to make sure I fit as many in there as possible. This is why you want the wide mouthed jars. 

Sit them right on top of the ingredients that we added in steps 1-3. 
Step 5: Add your pickling liquids! A simple ratio for each jar of:

     - 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
 - 1 tsp pickling salt

As long as it's white vinegar, you're golden. 

Found in the spice aisle by regular table salt in your local grocery store. 

Fill it close to the rim
If you have added one cup of water and one cup of vinegar and have some extra space in the jar, fill the extra space with water.

Step 6: Pop on those lids, shake WELL and go on with your bad self!! Admire your awesome work!!

Spicy garlic dill pickle chips
Garlicky dill pickle spears!
That's it folks!! Now, these are refrigerator pickles, so we won't be boiling them or waiting for lids to pop and seal etc. They are fresher, crispier and way more delicious this way. Keep them in your freezer for 5-7 days and they'll be ready to devour. My pickle chips are usually ready in 5ish days, and the spears for sure need 7+ days. Just open and try them and decide if they need more time. Good luck trying to not eat them before! :-) They will stay fresh for up to a week or so after...but they never last that long.

** I go in my fridge everyday and give each jar a good shake. Just to stir up the ingredients. You definitely don't have to do this, but it helps stir things up and mix the flavors well. **

And....that's all she wrote! I hope you all enjoyed your Fourth of July holiday weekend. We sure did. Spent it with family and friends and it was amazing. Even brought some of these pickles :-) 

Can't wait to hear what y'all think of them! 

XOXO from Michigan,
AJ






































No comments:

Post a Comment